Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall Music Picks

Say what you want about satellite radio, but it's a great source for new music (besides pandora, of course). Left of Center on channel 26 is a particularly good station. I can't get KEXP's John in the Morning in my car down here, but I've found that Jake Fogelnest is the next best thing. His morning show is full of great stuff. Here are some bands that I like:

Elbow
Close your eyes and you can hear Peter Gabriel's influence in his voice - haunting tune with a great, growling riff. This song was used in the latest Coen Brothers' film, Burn After Reading.

Tapes n Tapes
My friend Chris turned me on to these guys last year. Fun band, with a great uptempo sound.

Bon Iver
Interesting music. Simple yet powerful. I love the harmony in this song.

The Verve
One of my favorite bands from the 90's. You've probably heard, "Bittersweet Symphony" but they are really much more than that. I saw these guys at the Showbox theater with John, a cool friend from my Microsoft days. It was one of those shows where a wall of swirling sound surrounded the audience. I had goosebumps the whole time. I will say that Richard Ashcroft is one of the strangest looking humans on this earth. Good to see them back in action.

Cat Power
Old band, but still some good stuff.

Liam Finn
Continuing the fine musical legacy of the fabulous Finn family... His father is Neil of Crowded House and solo fame, his uncle is Tim. Both were in Split Enz - one of my all time favorites. It's weird that Neil has a son this old... makes me feel old. Which I guess I am.

No comments: