Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Best Week Ever? Not so much...

Argh! Thank God this week is over. Along with several other national pieces of bad news, the following events occurred in my life:

  1. I am (yet again) the 2009 Rec Room Romp Jacket-bearer. I "won" the jacket with one of the lowest point totals ever recorded in it's fifteen year history. As our culminating bowling event started, I was joined by my friend Critter who was also
    pursuing an all-time low. Alas, he turned on the after burners and I melted. Yes, I have some excuses... I lost two billiards matches by scratching on the eight ball, and the bowling lanes were not regulation length and were dry. However, my Romp history points to a sobering fact - the Jacket and I need each other like peanut butter needs jelly. Jacket, you complete me. I've decided that I'm going to get schooled by Christy in the art of cut-throat competitive tactics before next year. TresJ, Critter, and Sled, thank you for one of the most enjoyable weekends in recent memory - great to hang with the bros in Seattle! I'll do a future post on the jacket, so you can see why I would be detained by airport security if I tried to travel with it.

  2. I spent Tuesday night getting grilled by lawyers in the Novell v. Microsoft case that was started in 2004. I was served papers in mid-December and finally participated in the deposition this week. Apparently, I was an extremely powerful product manager during my time in the Office Marketing group with the power to crush titans like WordPerfect (NOT!) The whole thing was really embarrassing. I live in a small town - so when 3 lawyers, a court reporter, and a videographer set up shop in a local hotel just to videotape me... you can imagine the hilarity. The lawyer from the firm representing Microsoft was awesome. Heidi, thanks for trying to make this as painless as possible. Crossing my fingers that I won't have to do anything more in this case... it's like a bad dramedy TV movie, "Nowhere to Hide - A Teacher Caught in the Crossfire!".

  3. To wrap up the "Best Week Ever", Oregon announced further income and property tax deficits which will force my school district to make drastic cuts to our operating budget this year. Although we won't know the actual amount until later this month, we could be cutting 18 days from our school year. Yeah, I know... you'd like to have some vacation time too... but this means I'll be getting paid 18 less days of salary before June. Still, I feel lucky to have a job and insurance coverage in our current economic nightmare. It could be a lot worse.

OK! That was a really depressing post! Here's to better days. It's a good time to hug your wife and kids, call your parents and tell them that you love them, be kind to your neighbors, and be thankful that you're gainfully employed. Maybe the jacket is not so bad.

No comments: