Monday, February 9, 2009

The Herculoids

I need a break from reality, so I'm going to do a series of posts on my favorite cartoons. Hank and I were watching "Ni Hao, Kai-Lan" this weekend and it hit me that cartoons have been a staple of child rearing for fifty to sixty years. All those hours spent watching 'toons has had a massive effect on American culture. My wife can vouch for the fact that many of my cultural and artistic references come from cartoons. For better or worse, right honey!?! Sickness and in health?

Before cartoons became "teachable moments" full of literacy, core mathematical concepts, and refined social mores, there was the pile of awesomeness known as The Herculoids. It featured excellent characters and a mind-numbing slew of dialog much like a badly dubbed martial arts film. There were no lessons here just cool monsters, the ever present wonders of space, and tons of sound effects. Check out this title sequence:

What's not to like? This short clip has got a rock ape, robots, molemen, mutants, a laser-eyed dragon, multiple explosions, and two snot-like buddies called gloop and gleep. I'm shocked that no one has made a movie based on this bizarre cartoon. Comedy gold. I encourage you to enjoy the following ride, "The Herculoids - Episode #9 - The Android People":

2 comments:

Evan said...

I forgot about the Herculoids completely until your post. As a child I had significant concerns about this show which posed a significant barrier to actually enjoying it. What circumstance brought these morphologically varied beings together in common purpose? Why do they continue to work together? Where does that thing generate the projectiles that shoot from its hollow horn? Does it hurt? How does the dragon shoot beams from it's tail if it doesn't have a tail hole? Did that character feel bad when she freaking OBLITERATED the red dragon from the sky? Nothing was just obliterated in cartoons then, they were always whipped into contrition. Were the doughy things a metamind, or one being?
GOD.

Scott Raedeke said...

Yes, where is God exactly in this Herculoidian soup? Dude, just wait until I bust out the Sid & Marty Krofft later this weekend... You're going to need counseling.

Btw, I'm really digging the concept work you're doing on your blog. Brilliant!