Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bicycle thy name is steampunk!

Behold my new bicycle! It's a Schwinn Cutter single speed - a throwback model with a flat black paint scheme and very basic styling. I've been looking for a larger commuter bike than my previous ride, which was a smaller more nimble mountain bike that's almost 20 years old. I first became enamored with the single speed (and 29ers) when my friend Chris bought a Redline Monocog Flight. I thought he was nuts until I rode one and instantly "got it". I was about ready to plop down some serious bucks when I found the Cutter at a local bike shop. Only $299 for this thang! I traded out the seat and some new handlebars for a whopping total of $315. Sadly, this represents about 6 tankfuls of gas in the "Black Beauty". Sigh...

Riding a single speed is definitely more work on hills, but I find that it's a lot like the BMX bikes we had as children. Instead of focusing on gears... you just pedal. Plus, it's whisper quiet and surprisingly fast due to the skinny tires. Overall, it's an excellent mid-point between a mountain bike and a road bike. I'm hoping this turns out to be durable commuter, but we'll see. Perhaps a bowler and some moustache wax will aid my commute! M'Lady...

1 comment:

GenghisKhan said...

It's great to see single speed bikes being enjoyed by more than 10 year-old kids, isn't it? Enjoy your commute!

Peace!