Saturday, May 23, 2009

News of My Demise is Greatly Exaggerated

It's been over two weeks since my last post. I'm not sick. I'm not injured. I'm not angry. I'm just tired of trying to graduate this year's seniors! I have never loved and loathed a group of students as much in my whole teaching career. I know of roughly 20 wonderful, smart, talented young people who are a hair-width away from falling off the cliff and not getting their diploma. After 13 years in the system! Based on my long history of college slacker-dom, I think I am now paying the karmic penalty for my transgressions. When I was in school, the thought of NOT graduating put the fear of God in all young people. Today, not so much.

This time of year makes me wonder about the state of education and our changing societal norms. Is high school still relevant? Are we really preparing kids for life in careers and college? What do these students think they will do if they don't get education/training? What is the cause behind all of the symptoms? The first video here is older but well done. The second is a little newer revise of the legendary "Shift Happens" video. I think they both nicely capture many aspects of the problem.




I'll be better off after graduation. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Scott! Every educator in America should view those videos. It makes so much sense for project-based learning in the High Schools. Every day the kids sit in class, an amazing amount of information is created that makes what they are enduring irrelevant. Thanks for posting.
Carol