Monday, June 22, 2009

SkillsUSA Nationals Day 1: Hello from KC!

Got up at 3:30 this morning, hopped on a plane with another teacher and three students to attend this year's SkillsUSA National Leadership Conference in Kansas City, Missouri (ed: mizzurah to my peeps, as I was born in St. Louis). MY GOWD it is sweltering hot here! Temp is in the mid 90's and the humidity is like a sauna. KC, I'm sorry that I doubted your heat... my poly-blend red SkillsUSA "sport jacket" is going to kill me this week.

I'm surprised how cool the architecture is here in KC. A surprising number of buildings designed by famous architects - interesting brick facades, amazing fountains and statues. I'm impressed.

Our hotel is just outside a section of downtown called the country club plaza. Very cool high-end shopping area with many good restaurants. I ate a yummy dinner at Jack Stack Barbecue. I had a burnt end barbecue sandwich and a new evil side called cheese corn (tasted like corn cooked in velveeta). I highly recommend Jack Stack, but yer gonna need to wash up afterward to get all the sauce off yer face.

The Oregon chapter of SkillsUSA is meeting tonight for a quick orientation and then our talented students will be competing against students from around the nation this week at Kemper Arena. Students from our district will compete in Advertising Design, Architectural Drafting, and Computer Technology. I've already met some hilarious people - a student from Kentucky just rode the elevator with me, stared me down and said, "Ski-yulls or vaycayshun?". After a couple of beg your pardons I said, "Oh, we're here for SkillsUSA". She replied, "Ima stait awfisir from Kentucky... naise to meet yoo..."

More riveting news as it happens... stay tuned.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

ahaha... sounds awesome! Have a great time guys!