Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Catching Sun in a Jar

It's damn hot here! 80 degrees at 9am this morning, and we're expecting highs from 110 to 115. These are the days when I long for Seattle's moderate weather (although I hear it's hot there too this week). People are staying indoors lately - let's pray that the power stays on...

I've been doing some Instructables projects lately. If you're a tinkerer then you're familiar with Make magazine, and the instructables site - a shrine to all things DIY. I made a couple of "Sun Jars" built with off the shelf solar LED yard lights, some old school canning jars, and frosted glass spray paint. Lifehacker had a more simple version of Make's sun jar, so I used their instructions. These are pretty easy to build, the only step that I changed was to glue the solar cell and the electronics into the lid of the jar using some silicone based caulking. Here are some pics:


They work great! If, like me, you believe the white light that LEDs provide is too harsh you can simply tape a clear bottle label over them (we used a Aquafina bottle label for the blue one pictured above). The kids have been using them as night lights in their rooms. We just set them out in the sun for the day and they last all night.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Ok, so I'm actually kind of proud of myself for this...

Yesterday, at work I "thought" it was pretty cool. It "seemed" in the mid to low 90's. It "felt" cooler than last week. I wasn't sweating as much and I felt more energized by the end of my 10 hour day.

It turned out to be 101' at the plant...