Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ghosts of Shopping Past

It's that time of year when we spend inordinate amounts of time and money consuming products at retail stores. I have a love/hate relationship with shopping - I love products, I hate the feeling of buying something that I don't really need. I'm all about the chase, but I will admit to some post-purchase emptiness.

I was really floored recently by the work of Brian Ulrich - a Chicago-based photographer who holds a mirror up to our society's consumerism. Here's a sample of his excellent series on abandoned shopping facilities titled, "Dark Stores".


This image is like something straight out of Logan's Run! His pictures of abandoned malls are probably the most devastating. When the apes take over, these will make for a fine set of headquarters.

No comments: