Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tesla & Twain... BFFs?!?

Weird, two Tesla posts in the same week. I just found out that Tesla and Mark Twain were close friends in the late 1800's! How cool is that? I can't believe I didn't know this earlier... Check out the Wikipedia section on his personal life. Also, I found a cool article by Katherine Krumme from 2000 which shows Twains interest in Tesla's invention and their shared theory that weapons of immeasurable power would be a natural deterrent to war (yikes!). Click here to read the pdf.

I love this picture from Tesla's lab, notice how the mad scientist is lurking in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, you would have loved my dad (Christy's Grandpa). He knew so much about all of this, and would have loved discussing it, as would have my Grandpa Schellenbach, who was an inventor and LOVED Mark Twain.
Carol

Atlas Rune said...

I recently purchased a graphic novel about Twain and Tesla. Interestingly enough, it's probably the best book I've ever invested in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Fists_of_Science

I too am a big fan of both Twain and Tesla. Both of them epic thinkers and epic people, but both partially insane by todays standards.

Anyways, I haven't commented on your blog in a while, lol.