Saturday, April 3, 2010

Superbrothers - An 8 Bit Feast for the Eyes

The fine folk at BoingBoing.net turned me on to a preview of a new Superbrothers' iPhone adventure game called Sword & Sworcery EP. I love it when the interwebs uncovers something new. Superbrothers is really Craig D. Adams - a one man design shop out of Toronto. I was unaware of his work but it is stellar and right down my alley.

Before I talk about the game. Here's a clip he did based on Jonathan Blow's (of Braid fame) controversial talk on irresponsible video game development. There's a lot of bigger messages behind these simple pixels. I agree with a lot of what Blow has to say on the topic. I think young people get a false sense of accomplishment from these virtual worlds, when in reality they are just sitting still. This is a hard problem to solve... If the reality of your world is poverty, sketchy parents, and a cruddy life inside of a trailer park - you will always choose the virtual rewards of fighting dragons in the mountains! I'm uneasy about this, because I play video games and I can see the appeal.

DESIGN REBOOT HD from superbrothers on Vimeo.

I digress... I know that I'm about to cancel out my last paragraph by promoting a game ;) Here's a clip of Sword & Sworcery EP. What I like about this game is the environmental mood, and the visual style. I'm so tired of shiny, highly-rendered, and point the gun and shoot. This game is not out yet, but I like the refreshing take and style. There's hope in the gaming world!



No comments: