Sunday, June 20, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend

Whoa... has it really been a month since my last post? Just finished a harried school year on Thursday of this week (we graduated our seniors a week ago). Just got back from a rafting trip on the lower Klamath River and tomorrow I'm off to Kansas City for SkillsUSA Nationals 2010. Life is crazy busy, but great.

This week I said goodbye to my old high school, South Medford. The district has been building a new high school that we will move into in August. Saying goodbye to the old South High building is bittersweet.
I have a lot of good memories of students and staff, but there were definitely some drawbacks - the air conditioning in my room has been broken for the past year and a half, so it was 85 degrees at times in the spring and fall! Also, the hallways were very skinny so it was hard for students to get past each other... like cattle! That said, I grew very attached to my quirky classroom, the straight-grain fir floors, the old windows, and the gym - where a group of teachers and I would play hoops every Friday at 6am.

The old South building has been in use for 80 years!
It will be renovated this summer for a multi-use facility including our district office, our alternative high school, and several other district offices that are spread throughout Medford. Moving in to a new building is an interesting challenge from a cultural perspective - we need to be kind to our new neighbors, we need to bring our existing student culture to a new space, our athletic facilities will need to build a new legacy. South is a great high school and I'm really lucky to be a part of this transition. I have an awesome new classroom to move into this August... can't wait!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to the BEST Dad our grandchildren could have! thanks for all you do with and for them.
Love, Carol and Blair

Amanda A. said...

I'm going to miss the old classroom too. There better be space in the new room for all your sticky-note Space Invader aliens and Mario question-mark box. =P

~Amanda

Daniel said...

Ah yes, visiting "South" well be quite strange from now on. I was hoping to make a visit this Spring, but staying up North for the summer deterred any random weekday trips. Maybe I'll be able to come down this fall.

abradley1736 said...

i really like that top pic
hows it going raedake?