Thursday, November 25, 2010

Amazing Clarity on the State of Public Education

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you and your family are enjoying a day of rest and thanks. I am very thankful for all of the goodness in my life. I heard an excellent quote today, "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift". Later this quote will change to, "Ugh, I ate too much", but right now I am fully present and in the moment.

Fellow teacher, Steve Jensen hooked me up with this clip from Sir Ken Robinson on the paradigm shift that is needed in education. Essentially, that our current educational models are based on outdated influences from The Age of Elightenment, and production line efficiency of The Industrial Revolution. I have never heard such a succinct and clear summarization of the problem. I also love the RSA's style in this video - these whiteboard illustrations are a captivating way to deepen our understanding of a complex topic. Side note; RSA stands for "Royal society for the encouragement of arts, manufactures, and commerce". The RSA is a 250 year old organization dedicated to enlightened thinking, and social progress with a focus on ideas in action. Check them out at http://www.thersa.org/. Their dialogue is fascinating and important.

One caveat, this video accurately describes the problem, but it falls short of the massive solution that is required to fix the problem. We need a sea change in education, a foundational shift in the way we do business. Regardless, this is wonderfully thought-provoking and I encourage you to share Ken's wisdom with other people in your community.

No comments: